CHARACTERISTICS OF COMPUTER
1. High speed: Computers have the ability to perform routine tasks at a greater speed than human beings. They can perform millions of calculations in seconds.
2. Accuracy: The computer accepts large amount of data and performs specified calculations and produces accurate results. Some people comment that computers also make mistakes. But it is not. It is the mistake on the part of human beings. The mistake might have happened because of wrong input or wrong program given by the human beings.
3. Storage: Computers can store large amount of information. Any item of data or any instruction stored in the memory can be retrieved by the computer at lightning speeds.
4. Automation: Computers are capable of executing the programs without the need of human intervention, the computer execute programs one by one automatically.
5. Diligence: Computers can perform the same task repeatedly & with the same accuracy without getting tired. A computer will work with same tempo from beginning to end.
6. Cost effectiveness: Computers reduce the amount of paper work and human effort, thereby reducing costs.
Limitations of computers:
1. Computer is not an intelligent machine of its own
2. It requires human skills to operate
3. It does not work on its own, it requires instructions to operate.
4. It is not a decision making system.
5. A program has to be written to take action
WHAT IS COMPUTER?
Definition: A Computer is an electronic device for storing data, processing information and displays the desired (want) output in human readable form.
Especially computer is used to type documents, send email, play games, and browse the Web. You can also use it to edit or create spreadsheets, presentations, and even videos.
The Decimal Number System consists of ten digits from 0 to 9 (i.e 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ). These digits can be used to represent any numeric value. The base of decimal number system is 10. It is the most widely used number system.
Digital computer represents all kinds of data and information in the binary system. Binary Number System consists of two digits 0 and 1. Its base is 2. Each digit or bit in binary number system can be 0 or 1. A combination of binary numbers may be used to represent different quantities like 1001.
Octal Number System consists of eight digits from 0 to 7. The base of octal system is 8. Each digit position in this system represents a power of 8. Any digit in this system is always less than 8. Octal number system is used as a shorthand representation of long binary numbers.
The Hexadecimal Number System consists of 16 digits from 0 to 9 and A to F. The alphabets A to F represent decimal numbers from 10 to 15. The base of this number system is 16. Each digit position in hexadecimal system represents a power of 16. The number 76416 is valid hexadecimal number. It is different from 76410 which is seven hundred and sixty four.